Re: Was: NorthEast Radio Watch 7/31: NBC Buys Ch. 30 Back, mow Brian Dodge

Paul wrote:

>Today at 5PM, W232AJ/94.3, Greenville NH was simulcasting WJIV/101.9FM
>Cherry Valley NY. At 5, Brian Dodge cut the sumilcast for 30 seconds, but
>not to leagl ID, but to pitch his Box 1420? Brattleboro VT (Anything will
>help...dire fincancial contidions...threaten this broadcast...yadayada...)

And this morning (8/2) he cut the simulcast, again not for a legal ID, but
to promote a dental services outfit in Greeenfield. The Brattleboro
translator (W288AN/105.5, now also relaying WJIV) now sounds like ou're
listening to a station while the dial is slightly off frequency, but I am
using a digital tuner, so I know that's not the case. I'm willing to bet
it's a classic case of GIGO (a less- than-perfect signal from Cherry Valley
to the translator).

>Question to Techies.....Greenville is about 30 miles due west of Derry, yet
>I was getting W232AJ (albeit battling WCYY/Biddeford ME) on my car radio in
>Derry.
>Should any 5-watt tarnsmitter be able to go 30 miles?

When the 105.5 here in town is off the air (for whatever reason) I can
usually hear W288AM (relay of WZSH Bellows Falls) in Keene, some 15 miles
away, and I beleive that translator uses less than one watt.

Doug Bassett
WKVT AM/FM
West Brattleboro, Vt.

"Opinions are those of this writer and not of WBSC, WKNE, WKVT, WVAY, Disco
Bev, or any persons or businesses employed or otherwise connected therewith."

97