Re: WCCM to be sold...

At 03:32 PM 8/1/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure of the year, but I think it was over 10 years ago. All of the
>> AMs on Mexican clear channels (730, 800, 900, 1050, 1220, and 1570) were
>> authorized night service (originally with the lesser of 500W or whatever was
>> the limit to protect co-channel Canadian stations; some now have more than
>> 500W). In WCCM's case, I think the night power is around 330W because of
>> CJAD. WCCM receives wicked interference from CKLW at night.
>
>I guess that also means it's no longer possible to hear Trans-World Radio
>on Bonaire Island in the Netherlands Antillies on that frequency at night.
>I remember hearing it once or twice in the late 60s.

Yeah, but CKLW was always much more of a presence on 800 at night in the
northeast than PJB was. Windsor/Detroit is a lot closer to Boston than
Bonaire is. And although PJB is 500 kW-ND, CKLW puts way more than an
equivalent 50 kW in this direction. I remember listening to CKLW in my dorm
room at RPI in the 50s and it bombed in like a local--so good you couldn't
hear anything underneath. Meanwhile people in the midwest apparently were
complaining that the signal was either inaudible or unlistenable less than
50 miles from the TX. There were two factors at work; PJB's signal in the
midwest is much stronger than it is around here and CKLW's signal to the
south and west of the TX at night isn't great. Note that by an quirk of
geography, CKLW's TX is in a place (I think the _only_ place) where Canadian
soil is actually south of US soil. CKLW's lobe to the north covers Detroit.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205