Re: "Sales Person Wanted"

- -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Date: Thursday, 31-Jul-97 07:50 AM
>
> From: Rob Landry               \ Internet:    (umar@wcrb.com)
> To:   D-Bump Martin (PK-er)    \ PRODIGY:     (LJNF40D)
> cc:   boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu \ Internet:
> (boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.)
>
> Subject: Re: "Sales Person Wanted"
>
> On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, BUMP MARTIN wrote:
>
> > While they are becoming more common...I always think of the company
as a
> > chinsy outfit that has to advertise for their own salespeople.
>
> Why?  Good salespeople are very much in demand.  If they listen to the
radio
> (which they probably do, and specifically to hear their competitors'
> commercials), it makes sense to advertise for them.

Hmmmm...When I open a loaf of Bread, I don't expect to see an
advertisement for bakers.....

When I turn on the TV, I don't expect to see ads for Master Control
Technicians.

And when you turn on the radio, you expect programming.....and a few ads
.

Would it be any different if they were advertising "We need a Chief
Engineer!"  Or we need a new afternoon-drive announcer".  I think this
brings the public into a non-entertainment/financial end of the business
that they shouldn't be concerned with.

Most people don't know anything about how the finances of radio work.
When we talk about the station on the air it should be about our
wonderful prgramming and how they can use it.  Not the financial aspects
of the station.  It reminds them that it's just a business.  Most people
think we're a (free) public service...a part of the community...

I would continue to let them think that way....

Just my .02  worth.  Seemed the only time we heard this was on small
market (chinsy) stations....now we're hearing it in major markets...