Re: MESSAGE ID: 1EC610858

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, KEVIN VAHEY wrote:

>   Ok lets try to clean up the Red Sox timeline here......
>
>   From 1958-1971 The Red Sox and WHDH AM-TV operated on what was in effect
> a handshake deal and was renewed each year without question. First hint of
> trouble came when there was a nasty tech strike around 1969 in which AFTRA
> honored the picket line and leaving Sox listeners and viewers with Leo
> Egan and Spike Jones.

>   Now for the first time radio and tv would have seperate announcing
> teams....WHDH kept Ned Martin and hired someone who didn't even make it to
> the  all star break (he seemed to enjoy cold ones during the game)....and
> then WHDH gave the role to Dave Martin, who would be replaced by Jim
> Woods in 1974.

But WAS it for the first time?  Prior to 1958, when there was no Channel
5, the Red Sox were on WHDH radio and WBZ-TV.  Their move back to Channel
4 upon the demise of the old WHDH-TV seemed natural.

I assume the Red Sox were on WBZ-TV since its inception.  I seem to
remember that the Boston Braves were on WNAC and WNAC-TV.

What I don't know is when the Red Sox first started on WHDH radio and
whether they were on any other station before that.  Donna?

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/