Portland Metro Spring Arbitron Ratings

Top 10 in the Portland Metro Arbitron Ratings (12+) according to this
morning's Portland Press Herald:

1.  WBLM (AOR)           9.8
     WPOR (Country)       9.8
3.  WGAN (Talk)            8.3
4.  WMGX                     7.3
5.  WCYY (Alternative)   6.9
6.  WJBQ  (CHR)           6.7
7.  WHOM (AC)             6.3
8.  WYNZ  (Oldies)         5.1
9.  WTHT (Country)        4.8
10. WLAM (Standards)   3.8

I don't have any more details and I can't seem to find my copy of the fall
ratings to make a comparison.  Big winner was WGAN was increased from 6.0 to
8.3.  There best book in the last few years.  Thery fired long time morning
co-host Don Kroah right before the start of the book and moved to a more
light talk in the morning.  In May, co-host Pat Lamarch resigned after being
picked up for OUI.  Maybe all the controversy in the local papers helped
them.  It's the old story, I don't care what they write as long as they spell
the name (or call letters) right.  This week, WGAN hired former WMGX morning
man Willie Ritch to co-host themorning show with Dave Winsor.  Ritch
co-hosted the top rated WMGX morning show for several years before quiting to
go sailing for several years with his family.  he has returned to Maine now
that his oldest child is starting school.

WMGX was down in the ratings.  WJBQ's new CHR format helped them.  WKZS
chnaged their call letters and format but dropped out of the top 10.

Two companies dominate the market.  Saga Communications has the #1, #3, #4
and #8 stations.  Fuller/Jefferies has the #1, #5, #6 and #7 stations.  WTHT
and WLAM are owned by a third company.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine