Re: MESSAGE ID: 1EC610858

<< Today, of course, most
  commercial radio stations use satellite-fed music formats or talk shows
  for most or all of their programming (try finding ANY local programming,
  outside of some newscasts, weather reports, and occassional local sports
  coverage on any commercial radio station outside the top 80 or 90
markets!). >>

I don't disagree with your overall point about the lack of local programming,
but you greatly overstate your case.  Portland, Maine is not a Top 100
market, but there are several stations that are ALL local programming.  The
top rated stations (WBLM, WMGX, WPOR) are entirely live and local (except for
occassional specials and limited weekend shows.)  Other stations (WYNZ, WCLZ,
WCYY) are local on harddrive.  WGAN has a local morning talk show and then is
satellite most of the time.  WTHT is live most of the time and only satellite
latenights.  I believe the Mix 99.9, WHOM and WJBQ are live and local most of
time.  The only siginificant station that is mostly satellite music is WLAM
and they even have a local morning show.

Bangor, Maine has more stations that are satellite, but a majority are
locally programmed.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine