Re: NERW Update 7/28

<< *Friday August 1 is the scheduled sign-on date for WWLA (Channel 35)
 Lewiston ME (it's already testing with bars) and WFFF (Channel 44)
Burlington
 VT.  NERW is eager to hear from anyone who might be able to tape the
 sign-ons of these two stations for us...trades or blank tape/postage
 can be provided!

I'll see what I can do about taping the sign-on of WWLA.  I will set the VCR,
but I'm not sure if I can count on my cable system to make the switch before
they sign-on.

Interesting story in the Lewiston Sun-Journal last week about the cable
system adding Channel 35.  Apparently there is a FCC regulation that requires
cable systems to give their subscribers 30 days notice before dropping a
station.  The Lewiston system plans to drop WSBK and replace it with WWLA,
but because they did not give proper notice they will not make the switch
until September 1st.  As a result, the subscribers in the Lewiston area will
not get WWLA (and the Sox games) until September 1st.  I would think this
would conflict with the must carry rules and the system would be required to
find another place for WWLA until they drop WSBK.  Apparently, this is not
the case because WWLA is not screaming.

My cable system, Casco Cable, which serves the Bath/Brunswick area, is
dropping WSBK for WWLA.  They had no notice of this in the July bill and have
only had notice of it on the Prevue Channel and local access channel for the
last week.  They clearly did not give their subscribers 30 days notice.  I
guess the people at the Lewiston system take the rules more seriously than
Casco Cable.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine