Smal School Stations (Was: Re: WHSR-FM (91.9), Winchester High School

> From: A. Joseph Ross           \ Internet:    (lawyer@world.std.com)
>
> What was the policy rationale for dumping all the 10-watt stations?
Seems to
> me this just bolsters the case of that guy out in California who is
challenging
> in Federal court the FCC's right to shut him down.

I don't believe that it had anything to do with the 'anti-war' effort...

I think the muck of 10watt stations became unmanageable.

At one point I think there were more 10watt applications and CP's than
10watters even on the air.  It seemed *everyone* applied for one.

I don't think the FCC had the opportunity to check out the shakey
engineering.  Programming on these 10watters was also unmanageable.
Many run by students with no oversight.  (i.e...lots of songs with the
10 dirty words...)  And during the Stern obscenity issue...I read an FCC
quote as saying that *most* of the complaints they get along the lines
of the ones about Howard Stern are about school stations.

I think this was the FCC's way of eliminating a whole slew of badley
managed stations.  (If they couldn't organize the upgrade, come up with
the money, etc....they were probably not a well run or supervised
station.) It also alleviated the FCC workload.

And not to mention all the problems these 10watters caused for the
bigger more serious non-commercial broadvasters...

Just my $.02.....