Re: WHSR-FM (91.9), Winchester High School

>What was the policy rationale for dumping all the 10-watt stations?  Seems
>to me this just bolsters the case of that guy out in California who is
>challenging in Federal court the FCC's right to shut him down.

I've heard conflicting stories - one was that the Nixon administration
was upset at the role that college radio stations played in the anti-
war movement.  This seems unlikely, since Nixon resigned well before
the change in class D policy came down in the late 70's.

Another, perhaps more credible, account says that the large CPB funded,
NPR carrying stations decided they should have the NCE-FM band all to
themselves, and managed to get the FCC to side with them.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu