Re: New 1150 rumor

At 03:22 AM 7/26/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I just heard that ARS no longer plans to move WEEI's transmitter to
>Burlington.  Rather, they want to move WNFT to the Needham site of WEEI
>and sell the land presently occupied by WNFT's site.  Unfortunately for
>them, they'd have to put up another tower in Needham to do it, and I
>suspect it'll be a cold day in Hell when the town of Needham *ever* ok's
>another radio tower.

To do this, ARS would have to buy and silence WDIS (shouldn't cost much) and
the AM 1150 on the Gaspe would have to move to FM. As long as the Canadian
station remains on 1150 (and even if it moves, as long as the allocation
remains), I think that linking proposed changes at the WEEI site to 1150
must be a smokescreen. As long as there is a need to protect a co-channel
station to the northeast, the Needham site does not work for 1150; there
would have to be a null in the nighttime pattern right over downtown Boston.

ARS is alleged to want to put a tall tower on the WEEI site to compete with
Sconnix and the Pru. They told Needham officials over a year ago that if the
building permit for a new tower were granted, they'd _replace_ the three
WEEI towers with a single 1200-ft stick. This was supposed to be an
inducement (one tower instead of three). That means that, long before ARS
purchased 1150, they were at least contemplating moving WEEI to Burlington.