Re: WBZ Weather

Scott D Fybush wrote:

> > At least now, each forecast is fresh, new verbiage - logical content
> > probably doesn't change that often.  But it can as conditions warrant.
> >
> > Comments?  (from somebody on the inside?)
> >

> How about an ex-insider? :-)
>
> Ever listened carefully to the Accu casts?  There are about six of them
> that rotate through an airshift...three Dianes and three Anthonys in
> the afternoon, for instance.  And they're all taped at once, usually
> about half an hour before the news block starts.  If the weather
> really starts to change, we'd call back AccuWeather down there in
> State College PA (a certain 814-237- number is forever tattooed in
> my brain...) to get them to retape the forecasts.
>
> But there's no question that a live Bruce Schwoegler or Barry Burbank
> (and don't forget Ed Carroll!) can explain a storm in progress much
> better than someone 400 miles away in Pennsylvania.  (It's easier to
> get the TV guys on radio air ever since the newsrooms moved in together
> last fall...)
>
> -s

We've been using Accuweather since the first of the year.  The details
of the arrangement is something they worked out with management, but I
assume we are trading their serrvices for ad space.  So far they've been
pretty good about updating their forecasts...and they are no more or
less reliable than the National Weather Service or some of the local
weather services we've used.
At least I've learned to spell "Kocet" :)

Dan Cole
WTSN / WBYY
Dover, NH