Re: Small School Stations...

> >88.7-WLQI-Newbury
>
> Presume this is Pentucket Regional, and I do not know if this is still up
> and running.

Gone by the early '80s, one of the several class Ds that never made
it to higher power or the commercial band.  Another one not mentioned
in the original post was WRSB, 88.3 Weston, from the Rivers Country
Day School.  It was silent when I got to Waltham in 1990, and deleted
a year or two later.

> >89.1-XXXX-Acton
>
> Although I am not sure of the calls, the station at Acton-Boxborough to my
> knnowledge is still on the air.

WHAB...still out there, still on 89.1.

> >90.5-WMMC-North Andover, Merrimack Colege

Deleted.

> >91.9-WHSR-Winchester
>
> An interesting story. I called the audio-visual department there, and spoke
> to someone who was the former radio moderator circa 1992 or 1993. He claims
> that the former engineer somehow sold the license to WUMB. Now, I would
> love to know what station engineer would have the authority to sell the
> station license. However, this is what the gentleman claimed. He also said
> there are no spots out there to put them on, although I would not
> understand why they couldn't share 97.7 with WYAJ and WCAV and WIHQ since
> they are a bit to the north of all the stations except Winchedon, and east
> of all three too. Then again, since they would have to apply for a new
> license, they would have to be 100 watts, and guess there aren't too many
> openings that would allow that in Greater Boston.

WHSR applied once for 97.9, but I don't think it was ever granted.
Peter George knows something about this one, I believe...Pete?

> At one time, WHSR was also on the AM band? Does anyone know how they could
> have gotten alloted to the AM band? (I understand they went FM in the early
> 1970s, and dark in the late 1980s.)

Carrier-current, I suspect.

> WBRS, 100.1 FM (Not able to be heard much in Waltham, though, even near the
> campus.)

'Scuse me?  WBRS has one of the best 25-watt signals I've ever heard.
It city-grades most of Waltham, except the northern parts up around
Winter Street (behind Bear Hill), and can be heard as far out as
the airport on a good day.  It pegged the signal meter on my home
stereo at my old Waltham apartment.  It does NOT get out well to
the west, since it's blocked by hills.  (And no, I'm not biased by
the fact that I was news director there sometime back in prehistory...)

- -s