Re: Small School Stations...

On 25 July 1997 at 608 p.m., you wrote:

>Does anyone know anything about these stations?  I saw them listed in an
>old logbook...circa 1979...
>
>88.3- WBMT-Boxford

Masconomet Regional High School in Boxford. Still running, and last time I
checked they had a classic rock format.

>88.7-WLQI-Newbury

Presume this is Pentucket Regional, and I do not know if this is still up
and running.

>89.1-XXXX-Acton

Although I am not sure of the calls, the station at Acton-Boxborough to my
knnowledge is still on the air.

>90.5-WMMC-North Andover, Merrimack Colege

Not sure if they are still up and running.

>91.3-WDJM-Framingham

Framingham State College. Go to the Boston Radio Archives and you can find
a very interesting legal ID with a guy talking like he is one of those
suped-up wrestlers on steroids.

>91.7-WPAA-Andover-Phillips Acadamy

It's going, and going, and going...
>91.9-WHSR-Winchester

An interesting story. I called the audio-visual department there, and spoke
to someone who was the former radio moderator circa 1992 or 1993. He claims
that the former engineer somehow sold the license to WUMB. Now, I would
love to know what station engineer would have the authority to sell the
station license. However, this is what the gentleman claimed. He also said
there are no spots out there to put them on, although I would not
understand why they couldn't share 97.7 with WYAJ and WCAV and WIHQ since
they are a bit to the north of all the stations except Winchedon, and east
of all three too. Then again, since they would have to apply for a new
license, they would have to be 100 watts, and guess there aren't too many
openings that would allow that in Greater Boston.

At one time, WHSR was also on the AM band? Does anyone know how they could
have gotten alloted to the AM band? (I understand they went FM in the early
1970s, and dark in the late 1980s.)

>Also, where is WZBC, WUMB and WBRS(?Brandeis?) located on the dial now?

WZBC, 90.3 FM
WUMB, 91.9 FM (I can barely pick them up here in South Boston without some
slight fading.)
WBRS, 100.1 FM (Not able to be heard much in Waltham, though, even near the
campus.)

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net