Re: WSME/1220, Sanford, ME

<<    Based upon the market conditions in the York County (ME), Sanford
 area it it not surprising that WSME has failed technically and failing in

 the program area, as well.  >>

I agree that it is not unusual for an AM station is a small market to be
ignored.  Many of them in Maine have simply been shut down.  The thing that
amazed me about WSME is that it is so bad and still on the air.  What's the
point?  If the license has real value, why not sell it?

As far as market conditions in York County go, I am not sure what you mean.
 One problem for radio stations in the area is that listeners can get all the
Portland stations and New Hampshire stations, but York County is generally
ignored by those stations as far as promotions, programing, and even sales to
a lesser extent.  As for as the economy goes, over the last ten years, York
County has grown faster than any other area in Maine and the economy of the
area is generally stronger than the rest of the state.   Unlike many parts of
the state, it would seem there is the money there to support a local station.
 As bad as WSME sounds, I did hear local commercials on the air!

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine