WDIS (was:WSME Sanford)

Me:

A. Joseph Ross'" <lawyer@world.std.com>:
>That's the station I was asking about a few days ago.  They program
>classical music on an AM station, at least some of the time, and that
>seems to get them listed in the "Radio Highlights" in the Globe.

The calls are left over from the last format, "Discussion Radio" (local
and sattelite talk).

I made it a point to (try) and listen yesterday.  The format seems to be
AC with 80's and 90's music, locally hosted with air talent introducing
songs and reading liners.
No classical to be heard. There was also a 5 minute Bill Cosby "Fat
Albert" routine, nice for a change of pace.  Reception during a 60
minute car ride: yechh... even for an AM radio geek. I was anywhere from
4 to 25 miles from the TX, and after that, it was truly unlistenable.

However.... the announcer asked if the listeners liked the songs being
played, and then suggested that the music could be purchased at a store
in Easton.  He mentioned that they have old vinyl as well as CDs.  Since
I am always looking for old 45s for my cellar juke box, I will make it a
point to stop by this store.

The point?  Even on a moribund AM with horrible sound, a (paid?) spot
got the message through to a listener.  So much for me "DIS-sing" WDIS.

Michael T.