Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 7/17:

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Sean P. Smyth wrote:

> Speaking for myself (I am the abnormal teenager, of course) I am a pretty
> big dial scanner, although for some reason WEEI, WCRB, and WBCN are the top
> three, whenever I am not listening to a tape or CD.

Gee, I used to listen to those stations, too, when I was a teen.  Of
course, only WCRB is still the same station, doing what it did then.
WEEI, of course, was at 590, and at that time, I used to listen to it
mainly for the remnants of old-time network programs on CBS, Johnny
Dollar, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Bob & Ray, Amos 'n' Andy, and even
Jack Benny (although he was in reruns by then on radio).

WBCN, like WCRB, was classical music.  As we've mentioned before around
here, the call letters stood for "Boston Concert Network."

I also used to listen to WXHR, WCOP-FM, WTAG-FM, WBZ-FM, WERS, and WBUR
for classical music.  Those were great times for classical music on FM.
WCOP, WBZ, and WMEX were the main top-40 stations.  And WKBR in
Manchester, which I heard on WKBR-FM.  After WCOP flipped to a different
format, WKBR was the only station with a local signal that played top 40
music after 10 PM (WMEX had Jerry Williams and WBZ had Bob Kennedy.).
Sometimes I used to listen to WPTR in Albany because I had previously
lived there.  At some point I discovered CBC stations and started
listening to CBM, CBL, and CBA.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/