Re: Hello and Help!

> I'll bet they still charge TOP dollar for tuition.
>
> As an editorial comment...this is a sad posting when you think about it -
this school is going to be teaching kids eager to fork over their (or their
parent's) hard-earned money to learn a trade using equipment that fewer and
fewer stations (even small market ones) are using.

> I taught at one of these "schools" a few years back...I walked out after
a week - they were teaching methods that were obselete when I worked at
WOTW in Nashua in the early 70's.

> -g.f.

I am not a broadcasting school product.  Far from it.  But, I learned on
early 1970s McCurdys (at WJUL pre-rebuild), CCAs (kakas, if you prefer) at
WCAP's pre-newer stuff, and Scully decks at JUL tougher than Old
Ironsides/El Karmizan which were placed just far apart to make a tape loop
last 10 seconds for delay, etc.

I guess I feel kind of bad for those who think a round pot is something to
boil water in.  Patching around a blown channel to get cart 3 to work
should be a given, or patching in the production studio because the master
board just went dark.  (Engineers no longer come running from the shop to
bail you out - that's long gone.)  Trying to sound decent on a 635A
hammerhead if RE 20s are unavailable at the time.  My point, I think, is
it's worse to charge big bucks to lead people to think they will work in
state of the art studios than providing them with semi-obsolete facilities
in which to help them to understand the very basics of getting across like
a potential contendah.  I am sure you've seen some great studios outside of
the major markets as have I, but the norm is, well, don't spare THEE most
important item in your arsenal -  all together now -  Duct Tape.  Oh, and
the tech's beeper number.

Bill O'Neill