An argument for Class D

While reading the posts I have been getting the past few weeks, I am
starting to believe maybe the Class D license could be reinstated. The fact
is this: there is no such thing as covering a community anymore (see Metro
taking over all of the radio newsrooms), and bringing back smaller-powered
stations which were invested into the community could help. It could also
reintroduce some people to radio, give hands-on training, and develop some
younger talent. (Remember, besides college stations there are no training
grounds for people who want to break into the business anymore, since all
ocal stations have gone the way of the bird.) In effect, Class D stations
could serve as a public access network of sorts.

 I personally see no purpose in all of these "non-commercial" FM stations
in Boston all running "All Things Considered" at the same time. (I
personally don't think public radio necessarily does the best job serving
the "public," but that is another post for another time.) Why some of these
college stations need to be running nearly 1000 watts of power and higher,
one only knows. (I didn't know college campuses were *that* big.) If the
college stations were cut back on power and there were more "community"
Class D outlets out there, I think we would be seeing some eclectic, yet
interesting, radio. Response?

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net