RE: Hello and Help!

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> I'd make that ESPCIALLY the smaller ones. From what I've seen, the smaller
> markets are adopting the newer technology far more readily than the large
> ones. Economics plays a big role in this, I'm sure.

We seem to be the only station in the Boston market playing music from
hard disk.  I'm not sure but I think most Boston stations are still
playing *commercials* from analog carts, and music from CD.

I think part of the reason Boston stations have been slow in adopting
digital technology is that major market audiences are less tolerant of
on-air screwups than audiences in smaller markets (WFCC screws up all the
time, yet I'm told it's tied for number one on the Cape).  PC technology
was clearly not designed for 24-hour-a-day mission critical real-time
work.  Neither did the designers of DOS, Windows, or Netware have such
applications in mind, I suspect.  A word processor or spreadsheet user can
tolerate the occasional reboot far more than can a major market radio
station.

The new Orban system, incidentally, is Unix-based, leading me to wonder if
it wouldn't have been a better choice than what we bought (Scott Studios).
>From my experience Unix systems seem to be a lot more reliable than DOS or
Windows systems -- but then, your mileage may vary.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com