Re: History Timelines etc

<< A friend of mine worked on radio in Torrington CT in the early 50s (at
what
 has since become WSNG). He says that one of the biggest advertisers on the
 station (then a 250W Class IV, that wasn't heard much beyond Torrington and
 neigboring Winsted) was Genesee Beer from Rochester NY. This went on for
 several years--until the beer company found out that it had no distribution
 in northwestern CT. Just goes to show that the public sector doesn't hold a
 monopoly on wasting money. Imagine the scandal this would have caused if,
 instead of a private company, the advertiser had been a public agency. The
 Hartford Courant and the TV stations would probably have had a field day. As
 it was, only a few people ever found out. >>

There is a good reason the press has a field day when a public agency wastes
money: it is our money!  I don't care if a private company wastes money (ande
lots of them do) because I don't have to help pay the bill.  (Unless I'm a
stockholder.)

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine