Re: Feedback on WROR

> Subject: Feedback on WROR

> Question:  Would there be an audience in Boston for this mix packaged
with a
> *decent* news effort (top hour news, etc.) reminiscent of the full svc
a/c AMs?

I think the days of 'full-service' stations are over.  Radio has become
much more fragmented....with each station owning 'one' fragment or niche
.

If people want news....they push the 'news button'.

If people want sports....they push the 'sports button'.

If people want music...they push the 'music button'....(they have to
decide between the 'new music button' and the 'old music' button, etc...
)

While the jock approach on WROR is somewhat similar to the old 'HDH...
notice there is NO news on WROR after morning-drive....when WHDH was the
'News and Information Leader'.  The had Sports in the afternoon-with Ted
Larson.  Wror doesn't.  Current music on weekdays...and the million
dollar weekend (oldies, with a saturday night oldies show.  It even
could mix talk shows and music shows on the same station...can't do that
anymore...!

WHDH had a bit of everything  (READ:  Full Service)....and that was when
you could offer all kinds of items on the same menu.

Today audiences categorize stations by one niche.

Another example is WBUR which over the last 10 years has all but
eliminated their music programs...and opted to be a News and Information
station.

OTOH, WGBH which plays a LOT of different kinds of music, has not been
doing too well.....kinda like having a political candidate with too many
conflicting positions!

To succeed, stations have to play a minda association game with their
audience...I say a station...and you say what comes to mind...