Re: New "improved" WEEI signal

At 02:40 PM 7/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

>        If it's running 10 kW, non-DA, why would the signal go so much
>farther west than southeast? West also is closer to Montreal, where the
>main interfering signal is coming in from. Listening on the South Shore,
>the Canadian station was on top of WEEI. And there's a station in
>Cleveland, also, I believe. I understand that there probably would be some
>locations where 10 kW would be more signal than the DA generates (like
>whatever location prompted someone to start this thread). And west would be
>one of  them, probably. But it's the comparative signal strength in the two
>directions that has me wondering about your comment.

I don't know exactly where on the South Shore the report of poor reception
came from, and I haven't checked my maps to locate Charlton. I figured it
was somewhere a bit west of Worcester. Seemed as though the two reports
indicated that the extent of the listenable signal to the west was about
equal to that to the southeast. And since we might be talking about the
signal to the west just fading out on a car radio and the signal to the
southeast being rendered unlistenable by a co-channel signal, the two
reports could be consistent with 10 kW-ND even if Charlton is a lot further
from Needham than the spot on the South Shore where the Montreal station
overwhelmed WEEI.

Any protection that WEEI provides to the Montreal station results purely
from the Montreal station moving to 850 long after (then) WHDH got there.
Montreal (I forget the actual COL) may be the primary interfering signal,
but its night pattern was supposedly designed to protect whatever WHDH
contour was free of interference from KOA's nighttime skywave. I think WHDH
was the first fulltime Class II station on 850. (Allegedly, it was the first
fulltime station on any channel to which only one US Class I was assigned.)
What is now WRMR Cleveland (then WJW) may have moved to 850 before WHDH
moved its TX from Saugus to Needham and increased to 50 kW, however. You'll
note that WRMR uses only four towers at night, albeit with just 5 kW. Most
of the other 850s in the east have much more complex arrays. The station in
Altoona PA (10 kW) uses a nine-tower array. I think it was the last
full-time station in the east to move to 850.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205