Re: Globe 'WLKB'

At 01:59 AM 6/24/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Has this group ever discussed the WWYZ/WPKX phenomenon, why Hartford and
>Springfield seem to go for country in much bigger numbers than
>Boston/Providence? I sort of understand the "cosmopolitan" nature of the
>Boston listener, but why has Providence resisted? And why has country
>never made an impact in Worcester?

Worcester has been covered elsewhere.  As for Providence, they have WCTK
98.1, out of New Bedford.  They have a decent signal in most of Rhode
Island, and have been doing country for at least the last five to seven
years.  They were formerly WMYS, an AC station.  I have no idea how WCTK
rates, but it seems that the format works well enough for them to have
stuck with it.

And for years, WHIM, 1110AM, was the country station in town.  Loyal but
small audience.  I wouldn't be surprised if WCTK was a strong factor in the
demise of WHIM (by drawing listeners to a 24 hour FM signal from an AM
daytimer).

Ed Hennessy