Re: Globe 'WLKB'

Howard Glazer wrote:

>Has this group ever discussed the WWYZ/WPKX phenomenon, why Hartford and
>Springfield seem to go for country in much bigger numbers than
>Boston/Providence? I sort of understand the "cosmopolitan" nature of the
>Boston listener, but why has Providence resisted? And why has country
>never made an impact in Worcester?

        I'd turn the question around. I think Conn. and western
Masachusetts are more the norm, nationally, while the Boston / Worcester
area and its appendix, Rhode Island, are abnormal in the low level of
listenership for country music. That said, I can't explain it. I would say
that western Massachusetts is a lot more like northern New England or
upstate New York than it is like the rest of southern New England in terms
of demographics and outlook / lifestyle, especially outside the immediate
Springfield area.

        In the case of WWYZ, I'd also say it's been programmed very well
for an eastern / urban / suburban market. Perhaps more MC Carpenter-type
"progressive" country than you might get in another region. And the oldies
seem to favor Roy Orbison / Elvis rather than more traditional country
oldies--which I think that they think their audience never listened to.