Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 6/19: New CHR up North

At 08:58 PM 6/23/97 -0400, Steve Sawyer wrote:
>  Only one other in New England that I know of that switched later, and that
>was WHAI-FM (98.3) Greenfield in 1983.  WXOD Keene went on the air a few
years ago,
>obviously using old gear and was in MONO at first.

Not the case. I was with WKBK/WXOD for nine years up until two months ago,
and WXOD went on the air with brand new equipment.

Actually, to backtrack, the FM went on the as WKBK-FM a year or so
previously with a new transmitter/stl plant but simulcast from the AM mono
control room, and so was mono.

WXOD as an oldies station went on the air will all brand new gear including
an analog Optimod and Audio Prisms, new console, etc. An attempt was made
to go stereo but resulted in the most godawful multipath you can imagine
and no one could hear the station clearly. Keene is in what is basically a
bowl surrounded by hills. So the transmitter was moved from Winchester to
Keene, and stereo then worked with the stronger signal over a more direct
path to the area of major population.

- -Pete
WNTK (still happily in mono at 99.7/1020!)