Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 6/19: New CHR up North

Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Scott: the _original_ calls of the AM 960 in Fitchburg were not WFGL. They
> were WFGM. The station used those calls as a daytimer on 1580, when it first
> went on the air and kept them for several years after the move to 960. WFGM
> stood for FitchburG Mass, as far as I know. WFGL stands for
> Fitchburg-Gardner-Leominster.

... Not sure what year they changed to WFGL from WFGM, but I believe that for a time, I
think it was in the late 50's or early 60's 960 and 104.5 simulcasted as WFGM AM/FM.  Of
course in the 1970's then WFGL 960 and WFMP 104.5 would simulcast at least part of the
day back in it's country format days with Gene LaVerne.  I somewhere have a "bloopers"
tape of clips which were hidden away in the old production room at 170 Prichard
St in Fitchburg, includes a classic, 50's style if not illegal hourly ID that goes "...
This is W F G M, in Fitchburg!"  Sounds like the same announcer that does the old
intermission announcements at the drive in.

Incidently, the old WFMP was one of the last stations to switch to FM Stereo.  New Years
day, 1980.  Only one other in New England that I know of that switched later, and that
was WHAI-FM (98.3) Greenfield in 1983.  WXOD Keene went on the air a few years ago,
obviously using old gear and was in MONO at first.

Steve S.
WINQ 97.7 QFM
Winchendon