RE: Programming satellite vs local

>Steve Ordinetz wrote:
>
>Is there anything uniquely "Boston" or even "New England" about Magic 106,
>Kiss 108, WZLX, or WJMN?  I don't recall having heard any songs by Teddy &
>The Pandas or the Rockin' Ramrods on WODS recently.

        But as recently as last summer, I heard WODS play "I Can't Find the
Time to Tell You" by Orpheus," so it has / had some local / regional hits
on its list. It must be the only station in the world with Orpheus on its
list--unless WROR has it on now.
        A couple weekends ago, I was turning the FM dial on Saturday and
Sunday night and was struck by how many stations in Boston have some
specially packaged and named weekend night programming  -- lost 45s,
doo-wop diner, etc. A major DJ name in the market like Jim Sands is on the
air weekend nights. It may not be that big a deal, but I'd say count your
blessings for being in a top 10 market. Here in Hartford, a 40-something
market, there is almost no effort made to do anything except push buttons
and read liners, seven days a week. You can tell it's the weekend because
the fill-in jocks step on the vocals and present occasional interludes of
dead air along with 87 obnoxiously familiar songs in a row.