Re: WBZ / WBZA

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Martin J. Waters wrote:

>         I'm surprised by the comment that reception of WBZ was bad in
> Amherst. Perhaps this is true in steel frame buildings such as many of
> those at UMass, but the signal elsewhere is pretty decent--certainly you
> can listen to it. But it is a comment on the really bad ground conductivity
> in New England. Amherst is only about 85 miles from Hull. And they're using
> a directional aimed toward Amherst with the equivalent of, contributors to
> this group believe, at least 100kW. Out in the Midwest, the former Class IA
> stations in Chicago, for example, put signals out much farther than WBZ can
> manage.

Daytime reception was no problem, but night reception was often difficult.
I didn't notice problems with steel frame buildings -- I got a lot of
other stations -- but WBZ didn't come in well at night.  I also found,
after I graduated, that when I would visit campus for a weekend and drive
home at night, I couldn't get good reception on any AM station for very
long on the car radio until I got closer to Boston.  This was a problem,
since back in the late 60s, I didn't have FM in the car.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/