Re: WBZ's new towers

At 03:30 PM 6/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>        Speaking of Franklin antennae, the FCC database has this notation
>for WTAM, 1100, Cleveland (typo is theirs):
>
>PRIROITY HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR OPER WITH FRANKLIN ANT WITH
>ND-290 MV/M.

WTAM used to use a Franklin antenna when it was WTAM the first time. The
station was directional back then, with two towers (only one of which was a
Franklin, I believe). The strongest signal went due south, but the signal to
the north was plenty strong. I think they gave up that antenna system almost
25 years ago.

>        Does anyone know whether any Class A stations currently use a
>Franklin antenna?
>        The "AM is not dead" thread should be pleased. Going to all the
>expense to install one of these antennas seems to indicate a faith in the
>future of AM. As I understand it, these antennas only help the signal out
>around 100-150 miles, where the skywave first comes down.

KDKA and WHO, I believe. Also, KSTP uses one during the day but at night
operates directionally, from conventional towers, using a different site a
few miles from the day site.

A post at Airwaves, a year or so back, said that WHO's Chief engineer
thought that the Franklin antenna was more trouble than it was worth. The
post described some of the problems, but I don't recall the details. Many
years ago, the AM 950 in Denver (the calls were KIMN at the time) used a
Franklin antenna during the day. At night, the tall tower became part of
what I recall as a five-element array. They built the tall tower so that
could put an FM antenna on it.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205