Re: WNFT / WRKO / WEEI tower sites

At 10:56 PM 6/17/97 +0000, you wrote:

>From what I know about the WRKO site, the center tower is supposed to be a
>bit shorter than the other two.  The center tower is the only tower fed
>directly by the transmitter and the other two towers are passive, fed by
>the center tower.  The outer two towers need to be a bit taller for some
>reason.  Any engineering types want to explain this antenna design a bit
>better?

That's a myth. The center tower was designed to support an FM pylon, and it
was used for that purpose when WLAW-FM (the original 93.7 around here)
broadcast from the WLAW site. For some reason, when the FM went dark, the FM
antenna was removed and the original section of tower was never replaced.
WRKO could not have the very severe nulls to the west in its night pattern
without driving RF into all three towers.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205