Re: AM radio is NOT dead!!

At 02:03 PM 6/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Let's see....was WHDH PPP? They've dissappeared.  1510-WITS or WMRE with
>Norm Nathan and Bill Marlowe PPP?  Gone!

Don't get me started on that one; it doesn't count. These personalities were
forced to use the most horrendously awful tape library of music from the
right era but with zero taste. Did you ever hear Nathan sound off on this
subject on his 'BZ show? Apparently the marching orders came from a
20-something PD who knew nothing about the music the station was supposed to
be programming.

>(And if they DO think of something to do to attract 40- listeners....
>some FM Station will come along and do it.  And maybe not even do it
>better...Just by being on FM, they have the advantage of many more
>potential listeners...)

Have you ever met Rich Wood, director of the WOR Network? Except for the
position you're espousing (Rich believes in AM--it's in his job description)
you two guys could be twins separated at birth. Rich is a frequent poster at
rec.radio.broadcasting. He is also the fiercest defender of the status quo,
I had ever heard until I read your post. His answer to every suggestion for
new programming is "if this were a good idea, someone would have cleaned up
on it already." Unless you really do believe that there is nothing new under
the sun, you and Rich need to answer this question: "How come, every now and
then, there _are_ new formats that succeed?" The answer I expect from you is
"No, they're not new; they're recycled old formats."

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205