High-Scoring Satellite stations

>> I challenge you to name a single top-ten rated station in a major
market
>> (other than news/talk stations) with a satellite format.
>>

>KJUL (104.3) Las Vegas.  It's satellite standards and regularly
>checks in at #1 12+ in the Vegas book year after year.  A full class
>C FM signal doesn't hurt, of course.

...And the fact that they may take the extra pains to create as 'local'
a sound as possible may also help....I've never heard KJUL, but WMRZ in
Miami constantly scored high numbers in Arbitron, despite only having a
local morning show....What they did (They used WWI's "AM Only", as does
WXKS), was have the satellite jocks read liners covering everything from
time to temperature..Not to mention, they also had other elements, like
a WMRZ Swing Band, loyal listener clubs, and break-in remotes...They
eventually switched formats (not because of numbers, but because of the
unfortunate stigma that comes with trying to sell a format that's not of
the 25-54 group)...I would also not count Adult Standards as a good
example of a satellite format that works...Often times, the Satellite
Adult Standards station is the only one of its kind in the market, or
has a -big- advantage (as with KJUL's signal and the fact that they are
on FM)...The real challenge is to find a satellite country or AC station
that does top ten in Arbitrons....Good luck on THAT....

- --Tony