Local success

Listeners expect air personalities (on all levels) to present well in terms
of communication even if they, themselves, are *gifted* with a very local
accent.  Getting good local talent to work for practically free means s/he
is likely one of the following: a) independently wealthy, b) semi-retired
with radio experience, c) flexible enough with *real* job to put in time
for an airshift paid hourly, no bennies.  d) obsessed and will work at all
cost, divorced x4, 40 pounds overweight and smokes.   (Okay, I got carried
away there with the last one.)  Even with the above criteria (and I am sure
you can add to that list) one thing that is quite uncertain is longevity.
As Bob says, seven years to build a local audience means seven years of
consistency of more than just the format mix, even on a
music-over-personality driven format.

BillO