Re: AM radio is NOT dead!!

> Sean P. Smyth wrote:
> >
> > To all of the members of this radio mailing list, I have some news
for you:
> > AM radio is NOT dead.

Oh yeah?  Then what happenned to 590AM, 1510AM, 1060AM, 1150AM?

RIP!!

These stations might as well be on shortwave, for they barely pay their
own meager bills and have negligable ratings/listeners...

> > When I read the several postings which I got in my mailbox, I was
horrified
> > as to how people have given up on AM radio. If AM radio were dead, I
don't
> > think ARS would have spent $5 million to pick up wasteland station
WNFT.
> > Just to lose money?

Err...to quote a Boston Radio executive..."Because they're stupid?"

To justify *that* asset....1150AM has to post a *profit* of 1/2 Million
each year.  Not billl 1/2 Million...post a *profit* of 1/2 million each
year....  We'll see if they can do this...

> > Let's face it, the top two billing stations in this market last year
were
> > AMs (WEEI, WBZ).  True, Boston has been one of the few markets where
AMs
> > still remain competitive in the overall picture.

They are the two top billing stations...but also the most expensive to
run.

On the entire AM band only TWO stations are competitive.

WRKO is barely making budget because it's 25-54 #'s suck so bad.

And the next AM station to even make the ARB's is WXKS-AM in 18th(?)
place...

> > .....no young person (I am a rare
> > exception) is going to turn on the AM dial. No person period will
turn on
> > the AM dial.

As someone who has always been a Short-Wave hobbiest/listener.  It's
interesting to find that young people are starting to think of AM as
similar to a 'Shorwtave' or 'untility' band.  They know there's stations
there...and occaisionally something interesting....  But nothing there
can compete with an FM signal due to the 'impresion' that AM radio has
left in everyone's mind...

> > What AM radio needs to do is draw young listeners in, and do it
before the
> > AM generation dies off. That is why throwing WAAF's programming onto
1150
> > is a smart idea. It allows ARS to bring some younger people in the
Boston
> > area who cannot pick up WAAF onto the AM dial...

Where can you get 1150AM that you *can't* recieve WAAF?  Why would
anyone listen to AAF on 1150 as opposed to 107.3? What teenager/young
person that you know *doesn't* HAVE an FM radio?  (In my youth...only
Mom's and Dad's had FM's on their "Hi-Fi's" in the parlor.  No every
kids has a walkman with FM...and sometimes the wealkman has NO AM.

> > AM also needs to do what many big-time FM stations fail to do:
Localize. I
> > contend (like some others here on the list) that a strong locally
> > programmed station, with hourly news, with remote broadcasts, with
the
> > proper ways of promoting itself (not necessarily requiring deep
pockets;
> > being out in the community is promotion in itself) will eventually
do well.

What you're saying is EXPENSIVE....  And requires a station to make that
money back in revenue.  Not an easy task.

> > I think if anyone follows the philiosophy of the three Ps
(professionalism,
> > personality, and promotion) then they can build a successful station
.

Let's see....was WHDH PPP? They've dissappeared.  1510-WITS or WMRE with
Norm Nathan and Bill Marlowe PPP?  Gone!

Personally, I would LOVE to see AM radio make a comeback....But unless
they can think of a reason to bring in people under 40....AM radio is
part of the past.

(And if they DO think of something to do to attract 40- listeners....
some FM Station will come along and do it.  And maybe not even do it
better...Just by being on FM, they have the advantage of many more
potential listeners...)

BM