RE:WDER

>Mention has been made about a CP to 10kw/daytime.
>As far as physical aspects are concerned, no changes have been made
>that I can see.
>WDER has 4 towers, and the same property as the studio, 8 Lawrence Rd.

        DER has completed some of the preliminary aspects of upgrading, but
you are right, capital is the issue.
        They have automated their broadcast facilities, but have had
difficulties with sometower mod's that need to be done, and have a tough
time running full time religious programming into just northern NH.
Incidentally, I live in Atkinson NH, and the WDER signal is nearly
nonexistant at my home today.

>I don't know how any religious station can possibly bill enough time to
>make money, yet Boston has 4 full-time (WEZE/WJLT/WPZE/WNRB) and some
>part-timers too..
>
>Enlighten me ;-)

        I am national sales manager with WJLT, and  as of today, we are
faring very well in this "crowded" market.

        Some of each stations survival relies on corporate affiliation:
Salem will sometimes require programmers buying other less crowed or more
lucrative markets to to also buy Boston on either WEZEor WPZE, and many of
their paid programs are the hallmarks of Christian Broadcasting, ie
Swindoll, Kennedy, and have long relationships and strong supports in the
market.

        Most of successful Christian radio marketing in New England is
knowing why you are doing what you are doing, and who you are in the
marketplace. As former top sales performer for WNRB, I undertsand the
importance of being the 'Big Dog in the Market" with "the most power
allowed by God", but as a man dedicated to ny faith first, I very honestly
rely on accurately communicating a vision and purpose for our radio
business in spiritual terms.

        WJLT does not have a big mother corporation, but we do have a
unique marketting position, being placed between Boston, Worcester,
Providence and Southern NH. While our  5mv area is not enormous, allowing
our primary region to be VERY involved in our development has brought about
good response for our paid programmers in a short time, and the fact that
we broadcast from an area formerly devoid of a "local Christian entity" has
been very helpful in growing us quickly. Our dial position adjacent to WBZ
has also been a real asset to daily sampling, and we see a very bright
future, and plan to be broadcasting full time Christian programming for
many years to come.

        Whether 500w 0r 50kw, quality programming attracts quality
ministries and good listener response, and that is one reason this region
easily supports the stations presently here, although it is entirely
possible that some of the corporate entities will eventually  sell out or
'trade up" for better dial positions.

        Hope some of this has been helpful

In His Service,

Wayne Carter