Re: WBOS on 93.3 in Merrimack Valley/Might Mike Returns

and Ed Hennesey wrote:

> >Is WBOS' signal that bad up there?  I can't recall that it or any of the

> >FM-128 stations has particularly poor coverage up into the Merrimack
> >Valley.  Could this just be to try to take listeners from WXRV in the
> >Andover area?

I drive I-93 from Boston to Derry every day, and generally, the 'BOS signal
is good. My guess is that the Andover translater is pointing east to
Haverhill.
WBOS does indeed have some real dead spots in Haverhill, especially
Downtown. (I've driven Rte 125 from the NH border to Rte 97 to Goergetown
many times, and 'BOS begins to fade at the 125/495 intersection, and is
inaudible in Downtown Haverhill, recovering around Hale Hospital. Granted,
a localized dead spot, but a significant one in deterioration. Maybe 'BOS
has other dead spots in NW Essex County, but I can confirm that one anyway.

I do find it odd that 93.3 would be the translator location (I'd suggest
92.1 as a more logical position for the translator frequency, with
WNHQ/Milford a weaker signal in Andover/Methuen than even 'SNE.)

OK, now a question for the techies.....does the translator frequency have
to be within say .4 mHz of the main station? (such as W250AB/97.9
Manchester for WOKQ...an unneccesasry translator IMHO, especially now that
they've got 103.7/WPQK which pumps in pretty well into Manchester)

Paul H
Derry NH