Re: WFNX

> From: Sean P. Smyth            \ Internet:    (ssmyth@tiac.net)

> With all of this discussion of WFNX, has anyone ever thought that it
might be
> the perfect station to convert over to the so-called hot talk format.
Phoenix
> Media just added a syndicated talk-show, "Loveline," to the lineup,
from 10-12
> Tuesday-Thursday. Add in their "One In Ten" program on Monday, and
their could
> be a basis for a generation-X talk station that might compete with
(gasp) WRKO.

Only if they did it with syndicated programs...  I don't know how they
could compete with locally originating programs/host....could prove to
be much too costly.

As far as syndicated progarms...There *are* some....that are not (really
) heard in the Boston area....G. Gordon Liddy, Danny Bonaduce, Talknet
(although not 'hot-talk') is not heard...Mary Matalin, Jokm Bohannon....
and another guy on CBS that I like...but I can't hear him (or think of
his name...)

> That could be a false idea, though, because if they were, why would
they let
> Tai slip out of their hands to a potential rival? Feel free to expond
folks.

Why did they let Tai slip out of their hands?  Because they couldn't
match RKO's offer?  Let's face it, WFNX is a Lynn based station with an
awful signal that can only compete if no one else is doing the format.
And once you are a station with ratings in the 2's....(Now they're in
the 1's...) Advertising revenue really drops off!

(18-34, their target,  they don't even make the top 10!)