AM Daytime DX

Paul Hopfgarten says:

>I'm not an engineer, nor in the Radio business, so someone expain the
>following:
>
>In Boston (South End/Downtown) I can receive CHSJ/700 StJohn,NB ("Country
>700) VERY well, and can aslo get, although less well CHTN/720
Charlottetown
>(Oldies Station) but once I leave the city proper heading back to NH can
no
>longer pick up, and cannot pickup in Derry NH.

I'll ignore any directional nature to the Canadian signals.  Basically, the
groundwave follows the water very well, since there is nothing to 'absorb'
the signal as it crosses the Atlantic to Boston (I've gotten CHSJ in East
Boston during the day, while I would get the MA station on 700 in Orange if
I left Eastie--same idea).  To get to Derry, the signal has to cross Maine,
which weakens it.

That's a rather simplified answer, but it conveys the point.

Ed Hennessy