Re: AM Daytime DX

Rick Levy wrote:

> >>...someone expain the following:
> In Boston (South End/Downtown) I can receive CHSJ/700 StJohn,NB ("Country
> 700) VERY well, and can aslo get, although less well CHTN/720
> Charlottetown PEI (Oldies Station) but once I leave the city proper
> heading back to NH can no longer pick up...<<
>
> Three words tell it all: salt water path.  The conductivity of sea water
> is very high for groundwave signals such as these, compared to just about
> any land path.  The FCC curves show that at 700 kHz, more attenuation
> takes place in five miles of New England soil and rock, then in 300 miles
> of sea water.  That's why these maritime signals don't get very far
> inland, at least not in the daytime.

Just my extra $.01...

When I was in the Navy, I could pick up CHSJ 700 just outside of Norfolk
Va once the ship got 10 miles offshore.  As a matter of fact,
conductivity was so good, I could actually pick it up 50 miles outside
of Charleston, SC.  We also would pick up WNBC (WFAN) 660 New York, WABC
770, WNEW (WBBR) 1130 and if we were REALLY lucky, WBZ, although even 10
years ago there was a station on 1030 in NC and in Washington.. DC
station was at that time, I believe, WBZE, a religious station.

Steve S.