Re: WBOS Formats

In a message dated 97-05-28 03:29:01 EDT, hopfgapr@sprynet.com (Paul R
Hopfgarten) writes:

>Vinny Peruzzi (sp?) had WBOS dancing to disco in the fall of '78,
>but they dumped the format just as KISS (WXKS-FM) went on the air.

No, no, no.  WBOS held on to disco for a whole year after Kiss 108 came on.
 I was there then.  I was brought up from San Juan, PR to WBOS to be the
mid-day man at WBOS, and they gave it a fight, but lost obviously.   Then
WBOS went ot soft hits.  Bob Cohen was there then (remember him? -he's now at
VOA in D.C.), and then after soft hits, I can't remember what they did next.

The funny thing about WBOS is that in 1978-9, they didn't know how to handle
their immediate success.  The there-for-a-long-time staff woke up one morning
and found out that there were people listening!!!!!   ---all thanks to Ron
Robin and Vinnie, who led the disco parade.  They had talked GM Alan Temple
into doing the disco in the evenings back in 1978.  Then it spread to all day
& night.

Of course, there were some crazy juxtapositions..... WBOS was contracted to
carry stock market/business reports daily.  A howling change from Tata Vega,
Jacksons, etc.  Wonder how many disco listeners honed in on the stock market
reports BOS was required to still carry??!!?

- -----jibguy, formerly discoguy (and trying to forget it).