Re: WBOS Formats

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Hopper wrote:

> At what time?

6am I think.  Grady Moates and I spent the previous night tweaking and
tuning things.

For the debut of the "92.9 FM Rocks Boston" format, we went through the
whole audio chain and changed out various components to minimize TIM
(transient intermodulation distortion).  We installed Straight Wire Audio
PH-2 phono preamps, replaced the program amps in the old RCA BC-7 console
with UA-2's, and did quite a bit of work on the STL and transmitter.  We
also installed a pair of Grady's "Jock Watcher" AGC's and a pair of his
modified Multimax compressors with a modified Optimod-8000 similar to the
one we use here for Boston Symphony broadcasts (but with an adjustable
clipping threshold).

When it hit the air on the morning of January 4, it was both louder and
less compressed than WCOZ.

Rob Landry
umar@wcrb.com