RE: WFNX, stereo vs. mono.

PETER GEORGE Wrote: (I snipped)
>In this day of CD's and digital audio..etc., people will not stand for
mono FM when the music is >almost invariably in stereo.
>...music that WFNX plays would sound flat if broadcast in mono.
>...WMLN (91.5) in Milton.  They broadcast in mono.  I would
>enjoy some of the programming on 'MLN if only it would in stereo.  They
>sound extremely "flat" in comparision to other college stations of the
>same power and coverage area.
>...WGAO (88.3) ...They sound super.  If they were in mono, it would be
>a turn-off.
>...Personally, I don't mind a radio WITHOUT a blend circuit as some of
the radios in the market blend too soon when moving away from the
transmitter.
>...MONO simply sucks.
>...'FNX would lose a portion of their listeners who want to hear STEREO
>...IMHO,

So, let me see if I've got this right, you're not an advocate of MONO -
right?

<rant>
My $.02 worth:  Stereo's fine and I don't pass up a chance to listen to
music that sounds good in stereo, but I was raised on AM radio and some
of Top 40's bigger hits were mixed to be Killer in Mono, while the Stereo
LP versions were mediocre to poor e.g. Joy To The World, Hit Me with Your
Best Shot, Mack The Knife.  So, for the music I enjoyed, a station's
quest to air the stereo LP version (just to play stereo)  results in a
very poor listening experience for me.  NB: WODS used to play the stereo
(LP) versions of these songs and eventually changed over after a few
months (years?) to the true Hit Version (albeit in Mono.)  They still
play one of the Rolling Stone's songs (title escapes me at the moment) in
"un-mixed-down, 2-track" stereo (i.e. mostly music in one channel and
mostly voices in the other) - and for my money, that SUCKS.  Thanks for
listening - sorry it's in mono.

</rant>