Re: John Garabedian

At 02:43 AM 5/27/97 +0000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 26 May 1997, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>
>> The history behind how Garbedian finally got the CP for WGTR is interesting.
>
>After all that, what I'd really be interested in knowing is how and why
>Gerabedian lost or sold WGTR.

John H is a music guy--he's into hard rock (and maybe other hard stuff, but
I have no knowledge of that). He spent a bundle trying to upgrade WGTR to 25
kW-D 2.5 kW-N and built that magnificent transmitter plant in Ashland. But
that was about the time when the handwriting was clearly on the wall for AM
music--particularly hard rock. He had spent a bundle and was clearly not
going to realize his dream with an AM station. Moreover, he could never fix
the directional so that he could get a license for the facilities. For years
he LMAed the station, first to a lady from Texas who put in the SMN
"Stardust" satellite adult-standards format and changed the calls to WSTD
(which, contrary to public opinion, did not stand for sexually transmitted
disease). Next to step to the plate was Pat Whitley, who put in a talk
format and changed the calls to WTTP. He finally sold the station to the
outfit from Detroit (I think) that changed the calls to WBIV and put in
leased ethncic and religious programming. I may have missed some calls and
LMA partners in there. Also, Garabedian may have retained the TX site even
after he sold the station. The land (40 acres) is pretty valuable. I don't
think he owns the land anymore, though.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205