WFNX

On 26 May 1997 at 6:22 p.m., you wrote:

>One thing puzzles me, where does accuratings get it's numbers from?

AccuRatings uses a phone collection method, where they have people call the
surveyors and ask them what stations they listen to, as opposed to the
Arbitrend diary method. The argument is that people do not carry dairies in
cars, and also that there will be no confusion when a diary person writes
down call letters. (Ex.: Someone writes down WBCN instead of WBCS, etc.)

Another thing AccuRatings does is it counts non-commercial stations as well
as commercial stations, accounting for WBUR's controversial first-place
spot in the AccuRatings book. Heck, if they count all non-commercial
stations in the Boston market, I suppose Radio Free Allston could come in
first place in one book! =)

Sean Smyth
Smyth Sports Enterprises
10 Linley Terrace
South Boston, Mass. 02127
617/268-7012
Metropolitan Boston's leader in local sports broadcasting
ssmyth@tiac.net
seans@magneto.cybersmith.com