Re: John Garabedian

At 01:41 AM 5/25/97 -0400, Donna Halper wrote:
>I am positive John H was still there even after Max died-- he hated Max, yet
>he did this truly moving obituary on the air about how we would all miss
>Max, what a great man he was, he walked among us, etc etc.  I almost lost my
>lunch over it...
>
>After Max died, his brother Dickie ran it for a while-- they had bought it
>as partners (they both ran WPGC as well...).  It was Dick who sold the
>station, as I recall...

I know John H. didn't last long at 'MEX after Max's death...just quickly
checking some of my 'MEX surveys, the last one John's name appears on is
11/11/71 (Max died 10/21)...the next survey doesn't have a date on it but
has the same #1 song (Got To Be There--Michael Jackson), and Ron Robin is
listed as PM drive jock...John H is nowhere to be found.

Somewhere I have an article from Rolling Stone (an unimpeachable source if
there ever was one!) from early '72 on how WMEX actually beat WRKO in the
summer '71 book, it continues on about how John basically refused to
implement new formatics that the new GM wanted & got fired.  The article
wasn't particularly objective (in RS?!?!?  lack of objectivity?!?!), but was
an interesting spotlight on John's brief reign as PD at 'MEX.  From what
I've heard, he wasn't especially loved as PD either.  I forget who told me
this, but, apparently when the new GM took over he asked the staff if there
were any changes they'd like to see made.  From what I gathered, it was
nearly unanimous..."get rid of Garabedian".

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in between.