Re: Hi all!

Since we seem to be editorializing for the time being, I'll add my two cents
here...

At 20:13 05/21/1997 -0400, Steve Sawyer wrote:
>It's been about 2 months since I last saw this room from Texas, but alas,
I've returned
>to New England to find the radio dial much the same as where I left it
years ago.  While
>I guess most of you know the Boston market intimately, I thought I'd share my
>observations and opinions of what I've heard on the air around here since
March 25th (I
>guess this is the 'for what it's worth' column).

...[Boston Market observations snipped, as I have no comment]...

>West of Boston, WXLO 104.5 sounds fantastic!  Definitely not the same
station I worked
>for in the 80's!...

One of my favorites, too. Clear as a bell. I'll take XLO over KNE any day!

...WSRS 96.1 also sounds good, solid A/C format.. Same jingle package in
>use at WASH-FM 97.1 in Washington, DC
>
>WINQ 97.7 Winchendon (MA) sounds much better these days than the oldies
format circa
>1990, A/C format now, live dayparts and a LOCAL NEWS COMMITMENT... in
Western Mass..
>Now THAT I like!

All that, and a decent signal, too!

>WKNE-FM 103.7 Keene still playing the hits, but the format sounds muddy,
only going by
>FM 103.7.. doesn't anyone know how to say call letters anymore??

If you listen at the top of the hour, you'll hear the jingle... "FM103.7!
WKNE-FM..Keene!" which satisfies legal ID requirements.

>...out here in the hinterlands of Orange, WCAT-FM 99.9 is still a satellite
jukebox.
>Very little community involvement.. Hey, somebody get me a quarter, I've
got a request!!
> You'll never hear a live DJ on THAT station as long as current ownership
remains.
>WCAT-AM 700 is another regurgitated broadcast of the "TalkAmerica Radio
Network".
>Question: does anyone really listen to that, or is it a good way to create
a tax write
>off? ...

Hmmm. Just what I was thinking. Speaking of call letters, I haven't heard a
legal ID, or any mention of call letters period, on WCAT-FM in about five
years...come to think of it, I don't think I EVER have!

...  Evidently someone at WRPT 650 thinks it's good.
>The excitement in Orange is (how can we support 3 stations here????) WJDF
97.3 is doing
>a bang up job with community support.  It is LIVE.  Course, the owners
(Jay, Donn & Fred
>Deane) all work on the air... and other jobs.  I wish them the best.

...[observations on the AM band snipped, as I couldn't agree more with the
original post]...

Doug Bassett - dbassett@sover.net - West Brattleboro, Vt.