RE: payola, 1960

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Donna Halper wrote:

> I don't recall whether or not TV covered it-- TV news was
> still in its development phase.  Does anyone else recall whether or not the
> payola scandals made TV?

I'm quite sure they did.  Radio, too.  I wasn't getting my news from
newspapers that much in those days, and I wouldn't have known about it if
the broadcast media hadn't covered it.  I believe one or both of the
Boston-area DJs who got in trouble were from WBZ.  Since I listened mostly
to WCOP in those days, that may be why I heard about it.  Many of us
teenagers back then were quite up on current events, thanks to the news
broadcasts on the Top 40 stations.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/