Re: Late-spring DX

At 11:10 AM 5-12-1997 -0400, Doug Bassett wrote:

>1610 TIS of some sort, very faint. Heard before.

>This has been eating at me for days. Tonight I got a positive ID of a
>station on 1610, although I don't think it's the same one I heard before.
It
>airs a ~60 sec. loop that starts (ends?) with "Thank you for listening to
>16-10 AM [pause] The Steamship Authority Travelers Information System
>[pause] Welcome to Falmouth..."
>
>Anyone know the calls/power of this station? I don't see it listed at the
>Boston Radio Archives on either the Cape Cod or SE Mass. dial pages.

That's quite a catch from Brattleboro, even faintly!

Still looking for calls/power, but I can add that this system is operated
by the folks who operate the ferries to and from Woods Hole in Falmouth and
the Islands.  It's most often used to let people know where the overflow
parking lots are in Falmouth (and if they are being used) and where to
catch the shuttle bus to Woods Hole.

There is a sign on route 28 south in Falmouth near the route 151 exit
announcing 1610.  But I've never seen any antenna nearby.  I suspect,
though, that the transmitter is someplace near the overflow lot on Gifford
Rd. in Falmouth or the one on route 28 outside Falmouth Center, since both
are quite a bit father north than Woods Hole, and the signal comes in very
well when you approach the sign.  (Either there or atop Falmouth Hospital,
where there are an amateur radio repeater and several public service
repeaters.)

Ed Hennessy