Re: Late-spring DX

Quoth Dan Strassberg,

> The calls used to be CHIN. Maybe they still are. Isn't it Chinese and not
> Spanish? Pretty powerful, though. Isn't it 15 kW or maybe 30 kW at night
> (and 50 kW during the day)? But then, I think that all of the TO AMs are 50
> kW during the day (except CIAO, which is licensed to a different community).
> Hasn't CHIN applied to take over the 1430 frequency in TO? Is the 1430
> station moving to FM?

The calls are still CHIN, and it's actually a multilingual operation --
Chinese is one of them, but I know I've heard Italian and perhaps
several other languages on 1540 from TO.  And I just walked over to the
radio and flipped on 1540 (nearly all the TO stations come in across
the lake here, you know) to hear an announcer promoting two hours of
English and what sounds like Polish.  M Street says CHIN is 50/30 kW,
DA-1.  I don't know that CHIN has applied for 1430; that's CKYC (although
I think the calls just changed again), which is all-Chinese and is
staying put.  But CHIN(AM) has applied for a low-power FM relay at
(I believe) 100.1 to help fill gaps in its signal.  CHIN also operates
CHIN-FM at 100.7, another multilingual operation.

I'll be up in Toronto next weekend (after a brief visit to Boston this
weekend -- just in time to hear the Marjorie Clapprood and Tai morning
show debut) and will check in again afterwards.

- -s