RE: Lyric edits/insertions

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Steve Ordinetz wrote:

> Are you talking about the "special versions" that 'RKO briefly played in the
> early 70's where an 'RKO jingle was sung over the intro (somewhat) to the
> tune of the song?  I definitely recall them playing a version of Brown Sugar
> where the pseudo-background singers went "brown sugar, brown sugar, WRKO!".
> Some of these were quite convincing, others sounded blatantly fake.

Somehow this reminds me of the technique that was used by Bob Smith, when
he used to do a morning radio show, before he got involved with the Howdy
Doody Show.  He would introduce, say, a Frank Sinatra record by singing
the song himself, while playing the piano, then he'd say, "Take it,
Frank!" and his engineer would have the record cued up so as to make a
seamless transition.

He started to do this in Buffalo, and when NBC brought him to New York to
do the morning show on WNBC, one of his requirements was that he had to
have the same engineer every day (six days a week), so he could get the
engineer used to this trick.  When he arrived for the first Saturday show
and found a different engineer, he complained, and NBC eventually paid
overtime for the weekday engineer to come in on Saturday.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                          617/367-0468
  15 Court Square                                       lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2573                        http://world.std.com/~lawyer/